26 February 2008

Acting in "The Civil War"


"1861"


ARM'D year! year of the struggle!
No dainty rhymes or sentimental love verses for you, terrible year!
Not you as some pale poetling, seated at a desk, lisping cadenzas piano;
But as a strong man, erect, clothed in blue clothes, advancing, carrying a rifle on your shoulder,
With well-gristled body and sunburnt face and hands--with a knife in the belt at your side,
As I heard you shouting loud--your sonorous voice ringing across the continent;
Your masculine voice, O year, as rising amid the great cities,
Amid the men of Manhattan I saw you, as one of the workmen, the dwellers in Manhattan;
Or with large steps crossing the prairies out of Illinois and Indiana,
Rapidly crossing the West with springy gait, and descending the Alleghanies;
Or down from the great lakes, or in Pennsylvania, or on deck along the Ohio river;
Or southward along the Tennessee or Cumberland rivers, or at Chattanooga on the mountain top,
Saw I your gait and saw I your sinewy limbs, clothed in blue, bearing weapons, robust year;
Heard your determin'd voice, launch'd forth again and again;
Year that suddenly sang by the mouths of the round-lipp'd cannon,
I repeat you, hurrying, crashing, sad, distracted year.

~ Walt Whitman

* * * * * * *

My latest acting endeavor - playing "Third Soldier From The Left" (OK, actually the character's name is "Patrick", but you get it) - has been a wonderful experience so far. I've had yet another chance to meet and work with some of the most talented artists in the valley, in all aspects of the production. I've learned more about our country's history and feel honor-bound to portray these "slices of life" with absolute honesty, integrity and respect for their sacrifice. I've even had a small brush with celebrity (Merrill Osmond plays the lead as the Union Captain, and even introduced a few of us to his sister Marie - what a cutie! - I think Merrill wants to set her up to date us. LOL). I'm also a (small) part of a tremendously gifted ensemble, where each actor pursues perfection in every note, every word, every soldiering maneuver. I'm honored by the opportunity, and humbly grateful as I bask in the reverence and rejoice in the innate nobility of this play.
At the risk of sounding arrogant, I've recently been fortunate enough to be cast in leading roles in various plays. However, I've found no dissatisfaction in playing as a member of the ensemble again... it is just as enriching as a lead role when one is surrounded by talent, passion and teamwork... and this production has it in spades. "The Civil War" was panned by critics (at best) when in played on Broadway in 1999 and had a relatively short run. The mix of pop influences and American history was not well-received. I understand that, given the subject matter of the play, our crowds will favor us with standing ovations and glowing word-of-mouth reviews. Be that as it may, I do believe this play will continue to earn those accolades through our eternal striving for excellence every time we hit the boards.
"Hi-Diddle-Dee-Dee, An Actor's Life For Me!"

No comments: